Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reality TV celebrities, who the hell are they?

So I'm at the store and all the requisite magazines/tabloids are on display, and while waiting I do what everybody does, I gaze at the covers. While doing so it strikes me that, a) Batboy no longer makes the front page, has apparently disappeared, and b) I don't recognize a single one of these "celebrities" they have on the covers.

I say to the checker girl that "I must be getting old. Who are these people?" She shrugs, "I don't know, mostly reality TV celebrities, I think. You know, like the Kardashians."

Ah, that explains it. I rarely watch TV, I don't watch reality shows, and I couldn't care less about the Kardashians or any of their ilk.

To get the "person on the street"'s opinion, and out of general curiosity I ask the girl what the Kardashians are famous for, exactly?
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing" comes the expected reply.

So on my way back to my home office, I'm thinking about that response, and what it really says about our society, our culture, the unabashed idolization of people for no good reason other than they are on the tube and have money, who's sole claim to fame is due to their having a TV show based on their wealthy lives.

Beautiful? Well, I guess they're ok, but I know so many people who are better looking physically, who lack that special insane gene that appears to pack crazy baggage full of nutty drama. There are soldiers and law enforcement personnel of all genders and proclivities who warrant attention and idolization far more than these reality TV folks, but they simply quietly go about their lives quietly living in dignity.

So I guess my question is, what price for your dignity? For your integrity? For your lifeblood, toil and soul?
Do you yourself sell your valuable time consumed in the trivial lives of well heeled "reality" television personalities, and if so, why? What's the payback?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers