Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Claranormal on the air

Some fellow paranormal investigators I know, PIOCLA, started an Internet radio program, and I've been an avid listener and some time caller from close to the first show. They broadcast Tuesdays and Fridays at 8 PM Pacific time, they're great guys, and are learning this field by leaps and bounds on a weekly basis.
Last Friday I tuned in for the start of their show, but the show was silent. There was a header which said "Waiting for Host to Call In..." Uh oh. I waited for about a half an hour, shot them an email "Um, guys, there's a radio show on and the hosts are missing. Hope all is well," or something to that effect.
While I waited I continued to goof around on the blog talk radio site, and I started exploring how the site, the radio and hosting features work.
Before I knew it I had signed up to host a show. More to the point, I had 6 minutes until air time.
"What a stupid jerk I am. Seriously, who does this? What am I thinking? I have 6 minutes to prep for an hour show and I got nothing." These are among the thoughts that went through my head as air time approached, sitting there all alone, chortling to myself. Yeah, I could move the premier to another hour, or day, or week, or even month, give myself more time to prep, but for better or worse I was committed. I should be committed to a nut house.
If you know me, you know that I don't take myself seriously, but I do take what I do very seriously. For the record, Justin and I had talked about doing a show for a couple of weeks, so this wasn't a 100 percent impulsive move. 95 percent impulsive, yeah, but not 100 percent. Justin was a bit reluctant, as would anybody who's presented with a hair brained scheme, so in order to get the ball rolling, I just did it.
Yes, I did go on the air for an hour, and this wasn't as difficult a decision as it might sound. Yes, I was terrified, but I rationalized that I could yak for an hour, and this being an impromptu and unannounced show, seriously, who'd even know it's on? There would be no listeners, so there's no pressure. Besides, I'm not a broadcaster, amatuer or professional, so what have I got to loose?
Just do it. I did it.
So I'm yaking away, baa baa baa baa, I call myself on the show with my cell, this to both entertain myself and to finish figuring out how everything works. I make the announcement that when I run out of things to say, the show will likely de-evolve into me making funny guttural noises. More blah blahs blahs and I'm thinking I have about 40 minutes done, only about 20 minutes to go. Good thing too because I'm running out of things to say. Piece of cake, I can fill 20 more minutes. Yeah, the show likely sucks, but this misadventure is almost over. I walk into my computer room, my computer handling the switchboard and chat session for the show, and I check to see how much time I've been on exactly.
16 minutes. Crap.
Oh well, nobodies listening, relax. Then I check the chat screen.
"Oh my, there are listeners," I think while laughing nervously, and they're chatting during the show. I start coughing. Wow, the pressure's on.
A listener named GrimDog types into chat "You're Dying." I think he meant the coughing fit, but either way, yes, I'm dying. The show's going to tank. Oh man, what have I done.
"Pull yourself together," I think. "You have 44 more minutes fill, and you're going to do the best job you can."
At this point it all starts coming together. We get a caller, the aforementioned GrimDog no less, who has a situation at home involving a ghost, and thankfully, he fills a good 20 minutes of show, and hopefully I provide him with good help. God bless you GrimDog!
Am I going to do this again?
You bet.
Will it be a success?
Probably not.
Is that going to stop me / us?
Nope.
We do plan on getting our whole crew on the show, if not all at the same, then show by show. We also plan on having guests, whether they're hawking their goods or not, and we plan on highlighting various haunted locations and paranormal groups.
As those of you who've followed us know, we don't trash talk anyone (unless they really, really deserve it) so no guest need fear us. We're here on Claranormal Talk Radio to get everybody to work together, not to bash. That's Claranormal's philosophy, and the radio show's too.
Give us a listen if you get a chance. Currently we're following PIOCLA at 9PM Pacific time on Friday nights.
http://blogtalkradio.com/claranormal
To call into the show, dial (917) 889-9432

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers